Gaither Road Self Storage - NOW OPEN
9107 Gaither Road | Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Construction Began: April 2016
Opened for Business: July 2017
Managed by: CubeSmart
Total Units: 1,004 climate controlled
Total Rentable Area: 78,225 square feet
Arcland's Second Solar-Powered Self Storage Development
- Four levels accessible via two elevators
- Two covered loading areas
- 100% interior climate controlled units
- Rooftop solar array will offset a large amount of the facility's daily electricity usage
The infill site for Gaither Road Self Storage is situated just west of the intersection of Gaither Road and Shady Grove Road within the the heart of Montgomery County - one of the most affluent areas in the country. The county sits between downtown Washington, DC and Frederick, Maryland.
At the S/E corner of the Gaither Road / Shady Grove Road intersection a developer assembled a 31-acre site with a 5-10 year plan to create a 1.7MM SF mixed-use town center.
The Gaither Road Self Storage project presented a fresh challenge for Arcland. A portion of the two-story existing building was saved and integrated into the new design to simplify and accelerate the project's delivery.
Challenges faced to create a well-designed facility within a narrow infill site:
- Building to the property line on 2 of the 4 sides confined access to the front and east elevations, necessitating two loading areas and two elevators
- Portions of the existing slab and walls were retained and needed to be structurally integrated with the new, four-story design
- Construction sequencing was very important given adjacent operating businesses and required an experienced general contractor
Gaither Road Self Storage is Arcland's second development to incorporate a roof-mounted solar array designed and installed by Baltimore based Suntrail Energy.
Commissioned in October of 2017, the 148.92 kW system is made up of 438 individual panels which will produce nearly 200,000 kWh of electricity annually.